Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

2011 Buick Regal CXL, an AW Drivers Log


impression: Not a cushy car.
Second impression: Thank God!
It takes a little adjusting to get the driving position just right in the 2011 Buick Regal, but that's a good thing compared with past Buicks in which it didn't really matter how the seat was adjusted as long as it was as soft and as wide as a BarcaLounger. That's just the first clue that this is different kind of Buick.
Then there's the refinement in the powertrain, the taut suspension, the steady steering and overall feeling of solidity that says this is something else altogether. Thankfully, the General Motors guys on this side of the Atlantic didn't feel the need to mess with the good German engineering that GM's Opel boys put into the car. It's probably a little more insulated and isolated from the road than an Opel Insignia, but on stateside roads, that's a blessing. The car is still a good driver, so they couldn't have done too much to it. I was particularly pleased that the little four-banger motors along happily at 80 mph without any need for extra accelerator and gear kick-down to keep the speed steady.
I really like the handsome exterior, which looks surprisingly sporty and strong without being overdone. And I already mentioned my take on the interior, which is plenty comfortable without being a couch, and is well laid out and functional. I could see where some buyers might find the interior space confining and the view out the rear window limiting, but I think the car's better points outweigh those negatives.
EDITOR WES RAYNAL: I was impressed. This is a good-looking, taught, controlled midsize sedan, the best Buick I've driven. The Regal was supposed to be the new Saturn Aura, and it would have made an excellent new Aura. Whether traditional Buick customers will like this car remains to be seen, and I suppose it doesn't matter since presumably Buick is after a whole new customer--read, younger. The car is firm with good body control but won't beat you up, and the steering felt spot-on to me. And Buick's traditional quietness is here as well--it's a perfectly pleasant car on the highway with low road/tire noise and a quite nice interior.
I've read reports elsewhere that say the car is underpowered, but I don't see it. I thought even with this base powertrain the power was good, and this is a nice, smooth engine and transmission combo. One thing I kept thinking as I was driving this was what a slick wagon it would make.
NEWS EDITOR GREG MIGLIORE: I came across a couple of older-model Buicks during my night in the Regal, and I couldn't help but think of how different this car is compared with some of its recent predecessors.
The cabin blew me away. It feels more like a cockpit, and the dark materials and silver trim look like something found in a German sports sedan, which really is what the Regal is. Even the concave doors with the fighter-jet like handles looked great. Everything felt nice, and the navigation was clear, colorful and showed precise street-level mapping. The four-gauge cluster was easy to read and elegant, and this is the first car I've been in recently that is absolutely worth every penny of its sticker.
Drooling in the cabin aside, I was quite taken with the driving abilities of this car. The suspension is sporty and controlled, yet still comfortable enough to damp road intrusions adeptly. There's little dive in braking, and the car is flat in curves and turns. The body feels taut, sinewy and toned in aggressive maneuvers. The steering offers immediate feedback and impressive weight through the sporty steering wheel. I was able to make precise lines and hold the Regal on course over expressway moves, and it really made me want to drive this car fast.
The I4 is respectable. I dialed up more than 5,500 revs when passing a semi and all of the horses were needed for flogging this car. The engine is strong through the band to redline and offers solid acceleration from launch. I chirped the tires on more than one occasion and greatly enjoyed it. This is the most fun I've ever had in a Buick. Give me the turbo I4s--especially the top-of-the-line GS.
The exterior styling is elegant and sporty. I like the Opel Insignia blades in the doors, and it's understated yet nicely done. There's some nice bling with the brightwork on the grille and trunk. I really like the silver Buick shields too, which have been in use for a few years. It's classic yet contemporary.
This is the first car I've driven in awhile that my 28-year-old brother and my 70-year-old father would equally appreciate, though for different reasons. Good thing GM kept Opel.
ASSOCIATE EDITOR JONATHAN WONG: I have to agree with the statement about this being the best Buick I've ever driven. However, maybe that's because it began life as something other than a Buick. As mentioned above, this was supposed to be the next Saturn Aura, but we all know how that story ended. With the jettison of Saturn, GM was left to find a new home for it in North America. The benefactor ended up being Buick, which is certainly good for the brand.
From a drive standpoint, this car is stellar. The ride is buttoned-up with a suspension that keeps the car comfortably planted around town over bumps and potholes, while being more than up to the task of keeping it stuck around corners when pushed. In my opinion, this is one of the best-handling front-wheel-drivers on the market. It's very impressive with the combination of body composure, steering response and cabin isolation.
I was let down by the engine. With only 182 hp to move around this 3,600-pound car, the engine feel slightly overburdened when you're romping it. It's not deadly slow, but I would like to see power in the low 200-hp range like the Acura TSX to make it feel a bit more spirited off the line. I'm sure the Regal GS will do a lot to squash my complaints later on. Shifts from the six-speed automatic were, however, fairly quick.
Another strike I'm going to give the Regal is the interior. No doubt, it was going to be the Aura and development was probably too far along to change things up more and maybe put some better-looking controls and switches in it to make it look like a Buick instead of a Saturn. It's still nice in there overall, but coming after the interior Buick did for the LaCrosse, it's a letdown. Sure, the Regal is supposed to be a more entry-level vehicle than the LaCrosse, but still. A few more luxury touches would be appreciated.
Finally, there was an odd noise coming from behind the center stack during my night. It would only happen when I turned right from a stop or a slow roll. With the wheel cranked right and when you accelerated through the turn, you would hear an odd buzzing noise, which would stop once the wheel straightened up. Weird, and it only did that in that situation, not when you turned left and not when you were going faster.
2011 Buick Regal CXL
Base Price: $26,995
As-Tested Price: $31,780
Drivetrain: 2.4-liter I4; FWD, six-speed automatic
Output: 182 hp @ 6,700 rpm, 172 lb-ft @ 4,900 rpm
Curb Weight: 3,600 lb
Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 23/23.4 mpg
Options: RL6 optional equipment including power seat adjuster, front passenger, eight-way, four-way lumbar, power outlet, ultrasonic rear parking assist, power sunroof, rear airbags, premium audio with navigation, nine speakers ($4,785).

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you require any more information or have any questions about our privacy policy, please feel free to contact us by email at the_hero1974@hotmail.com