Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, an AW Drivers Log


This is the Outback that I have been asking for! Once I got into the driver's seat and noticed the clean center stack--with a navigation unit!--I knew I liked this model even better than our long-termer. The absence of a nav in our Subie has been the one thing I've considered lacking, so this short-termer completes the package for me.
I'm not a fan of the bronze paint, but the great sheetmetal is still there. And all of the legroom, headroom and cargo space remain. The drive and handling are solid, and I didn't notice any of that violent jerking the transmission in our LT Outback has exhibited. The brakes are strong and easily bring the car to a halt, and they aren't overly sensitive in stop-and-go traffic.
I became a fan of Subie's crossovers with our LT Forester last year, and that favor continues with the Outback. It's a great grocery getter and around-town runner, sure. But to me, the Outback is meant to travel. And whether it's just a weekend ride or a longer jaunt, this is a great vehicle in which to do that. With the addition of the nav unit, and the easy-to-use sound and climate systems, all you need is some open road and/or a destination.
NEWS EDITOR GREG MIGLIORE: I'm continually impressed with the Outback, and this one upgraded in handsome trim is no exception. It's like our long-termer--but with nicer options. The interior sees the most significant differences, where the leather and wood-colored parts are sharp and pleasing to the touch. The deep blue background sets it all off. As Cindy noted, the nav is a smart addition, and this unit is colorful and informative. The leather wrapped steering wheel feels luxurious and is a nice interaction point for the evenly weighted steering. The demeanor of the Outback is one of its better characteristics. It feels solid and buttoned-up in corners, and I much prefer this feel to taller SUVs. The seats are comfortable and adjustable, and the road view is excellent.
This boxer-four is a decent powerplant. I would take a few more horses underhood, but this wagon is not underpowered by any means. The AWD is great in typical Subie fashion. The brakes are strong, though they can feel grabby at times, giving the feeling like you're in a bit of a panic stop. Overall, this is an excellent family hauler. I wish our long-termer had some of these options.
ASSISTANT ART DIRECTOR/DESIGNER TARA KLEIN: I typically fear that once I like a current vehicle, the following year's model will have some alterations that I don't approve of. I am a firm believer in the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I know this is not the exact car that in our long-term fleet; there are some different features and specs, but I was still concerned the overall feel and comfort would change. And I was right. Luckily I found the Outback has evolved into something even better and more adaptable to drivers of all types.
Comfort and visual appeal are still of paramount importance. The seats provide great support and coziness, and the amount of legroom and storage is still generous. Wood and metal trim grace the curves and lines of the elements inside, creating a modern look. The center console is well lit, and I like the red backlit controls. This Outback is equipped with a back-up camera and a navigation system, which scored major bonus points for me instantly. The dash cluster is still well composed, being simple, clean and easy to read.
The touch screen controls for the radio had me concerned at first. Most of my experiences with touch screens involved finicky buttons that were just too small to target. But this screen is extremely easy to navigate and use.
The solid, sturdy, utilitarian stance is still present. Bumps and other road blemishes were no problem for the Outback to absorb during my commute, and it still has power when tackling expressway traffic. The exterior is still simple, clean and sensible. I'm not convinced the rusty bronze color suits it, however.
So I suppose I'm wrong. The 2010 wasn't broke. Some features of this 2011 got fixed up. And I like it.
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Base Price: $29,520
As-Tested Price: $32,515
Drivetrain: 2.5-liter H4; AWD, continuously variable transmission
Output: 170 hp @ 5,600 rpm, 170 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm
Curb Weight: 3,564 lb
Fuel Economy (EPA): 25 mpg
Options: Option package 08 including power moonroof, navigation system including voice-activated controls, auxiliary audio port, rear vision camera, satellite radio, auto-dimming rearview mirror, CD/DVD player, Bluetooth ($2,995)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you require any more information or have any questions about our privacy policy, please feel free to contact us by email at the_hero1974@hotmail.com